SPEAKERS ALWAYS WANTED
If you would like to speak at a future dorkbot meeting, or dj or perform music after the presentations, please contact dorkbotsea [@] dorkbot [.] org
Here is information on how to sign up:
What is the format of a dorkbot meeting?
A typical dorkbot-sea meeting consists of:
- Brief intros, announcements, administrivia
- Up to three half-hour presentations, the more interactive the better
Opendork mic for anyone with anything to say, show-and-tell etc.
- Performance, and time for mingling, networking, work-in-progress
We are quite flexible about formats: if you have a whole evening's worth of material we could let you 'curate' a whole meeting, or if you have something interesting to say/show that won't fill 30 minutes we're always happy to give you a slot.
What should I present?
Imaginary presentation topics:
- A demo of the new motion tracking software you're writing
- Playing a video you made
- An explanation of how you hacked your game boy to get it to make cool bleeping noises
- Trouble shooting/brainstorming your remote-controlled sandwich-making robot
- Bringing in some dancers you're working with and having them demonstrate the interface
used in your new mind-control ballet
- Discussing your approach to electronic sculpture
- Take a look at our meeting archives for more inspiration
Demos of commercial software are not appropriate, unless you wrote the software or you are making it do something particularly novel or interesting. Likewise, an advertising pitch for your company is only appropriate if the company does something exceptionally cool. On the other hand, presenting a piece that was created using commercial software is fine.
Do I get paid to speak?
No. We don’t charge admission and we don’t pay speakers - dorkbot-sea is a free, community event.
You are encouraged to provide most of the resources needed for your presentation, including your own computers and mixing equipment. Some 911/dorkbot-sea equipment will be available, but do bring your own wherever possible. We'll have:
- A video projector and screen
- A mixing desk and PA
We also have guidelines distilled from previous dorkbot meetings that describe some ins and outs of presenting to our audience that we'll be delighted to forward as soon as you've committed to a date.
How do I sign up?
dorkbotsea [@] dorkbot [.] org